COVID-19 update 3-13-20
HOSPITAL: We are asking patients to limit visitors to one visitor per patient. Visitors with any illness symptoms, especially associated with the novel coronavirus (fever, cough, shortness of breath), please do not visit Lackey Memorial Hospital or affiliated clinics unless you are seeking medical care.
EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT: Please note that no visitors will be allowed in the Emergency Department Rooms with patients except under these special circumstances:
- ONE DESIGNATED PARENT OR GUARDIAN WILL BE ALLOWED WITH CHILDREN 17 YEARS OF AGE AND UNDER.
- ONE DESIGNATED VISITOR PER PATIENT WITH APPROVAL OF EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT CHARGE NURSE.
No children are allowed in the hospital at this time, except for those that are patients.
Entrance to the facility remains as follows:
– Front Lobby Entrance – 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m., Monday – Friday.
– Emergency Room Entrance – 24/7.
Screening protocols remain in place at both entrances at this time.
From Lackey Memorial Hospital’s Chief Executive Officer, Sydney Sawyer, RN:
In an attempt to safeguard our community and limit the spread of COVID-19, Lackey Memorial Hospital, Lackey Convalescent Home, and our affiliated clinics (Community Health Clinic, Main Street Medical Clinic Morton, Newton Family and Pediatric Clinic, Forest Family Practice, Lackey Pediatric Clinic, Forest Sleep Clinic, as well as, Lackey Outpatient Behavioral Health in Forest, Carthage, and Philadelphia, MS) have implemented the following:
- We are limiting entry points to our facility to only two entrances: One being the main door located at the front of the hospital and the other entrance being the emergency room entrance located near the rear of the facility on the north east side of the building. PLEASE NOTE: Limiting entry points does not mean limiting access to the hospital. We remain ready to serve our patients and our community. The limited entry points are to assist with monitoring and evaluating persons entering the facility. However, out of an abundance of caution there is currently no access to Lackey Convalescent Home for resident safety.
- We have implemented daily and around the clock screening of any/all persons entering the facility to include but is not limited to staff, patients, vendors, and visitors. Screening will occur at the main door located at the front of the hospital and the emergency room entrance located near the rear of the facility during the week from 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Weekend access will be granted through the emergency entrance only. There will be no entry without screening. If you exhibit symptoms during the screening process, you will be directed to you primary care provider for further evaluation. Screening includes: assessing the body temperature of each individual and asking select questions addressing any potential exposure for each individual.
- Signs are posted at each entrance and throughout the departments of the hospital instructing all individuals to check-in with facility staff upon arrival.
- Isolation procedures have been implemented for patients who may have a respiratory infection or with symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath) who are seeking treatment. Staff will utilize personal protective equipment and infection prevention measures with any patient suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19.
- Visiting hours have been changed to 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (Currently there is no visitor access to Lackey Convalescent Home for resident safety.) We are asking patients to limit visitors to one visitor per patient, if necessary. We ask visitors with any illness symptoms, especially associated with the novel coronavirus (fever, cough, shortness of breath) to not visit Lackey Memorial Hospital or affiliated clinics unless you are seeking medical care.
- If you feel your symptoms are severe enough to require medical attention, please use your regular health care provider (not the emergency room), alerting them prior to your visit that you are exhibiting symptoms related to COVID-19.
- Public use of the facility cafeteria is restricted at this time. Our facility cafeteria remains open to serve patients and staff.
- Measures have been implemented to control the dispensing and usage of personal protective equipment (PPE). Monitoring PPE supplies will be ongoing to ensure adequate levels of supplies are maintained.
- Additional hand sanitizer dispensers have been made available throughout the facility for the convenience of our staff, patients, and visitors, and we encourage you to utilize them. Increased frequency of cleaning and disinfecting touchpoints throughout all public areas has been implemented, as well.
- As always, we have advised staff members to take extra precautions and are asking them to stay home if they are ill. If they feel unwell during their shift, we immediately direct them to our screening and to their regular provider for treatment. We are further encouraging any visitor that is not feeling well to promptly seek medical attention and to avoid public exposure as much as possible. We will assist any persons to obtain medical assistance when, or if, needed.
Daily reevaluation of the facilities response is being conducted. We are frequently monitoring new information from the Mississippi State Department of Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention related to COVID-19 precautions and treatments. Changes will be made to our facility plan as required as new information is provided. Staff education has started and will continue as any new plans are implemented. The staff of Lackey Memorial Hospital and affiliated clinics is confident in our preparation and treatment of our patients and will continue to strive to meet our community needs with the best care possible. Please refer to our website or social media accounts for further updates.